SubTag

A blog from Schubbe Resch Chiropractic and Physical Therapy.

Friday, February 15, 2013

Community Blood Drive - Help Someone You Know

Our offices will be participating in blood drives in March with the Community Blood Center.  The Neenah office's drive will be on Friday, March 8th from 1-4 p.m..  The Appleton office will have it's drive on Tuesday, March 19th from 8:00 to 11:30 a.m.  Please call either office to sign up!



We wanted to share with you why donating blood is so important.  Kathy Gertz is a member of our Appleton staff.  Her daughter Holly wrote to us about her experience donating and receiving blood:


"Donating blood is an extremely important thing! I have thought this from the first time I donated, in high school. I became a regular donor and was proud of the contribution I was making to my community; however I never thought I would be on the receiving end of blood. When I entered my junior year of college, I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and become quite ill. I was never able to control it which resulted the removal of my entire colon, also known as your large intestine. Over the course of four years, I received four complete blood transfusions and a round of iron infusions to help battle the weakness, fatigue, and general malaise I felt daily. I am now 29 and have received more blood transfusions over the years due to complications from surgery and other autoimmune disorders I have been diagnosed with.

Going from perfectly healthy to needing tests, blood transfusions, and even surgery is a scary thing. I can’t imagine if there wouldn’t have been people willing to donate their blood to help me carry on living a normal life by finishing college and becoming a teacher. If you are a healthy individual, I urge you from one former donor and receiver to donate blood!

I just turned 29, I currently teach 7th and 8th grade science, and I am fairly healthy living a normal life. This is due to the generosity of people in my community. My parents have also set a wonderful example, by being donors! One of my wonderful parents works at Schubbe Resch Chiropractic and Physical Therapy. "

We really appreciate Holly's willingness to share her story.  Let's all help by donating blood if we are able!

No comments:

Post a Comment